Saturday, December 14, 2019

Oz: Glinda The Good Witch - Accessories



Yesterday I shared our process for Glinda's gown and today I wanted to discuss how I created her custom accessories. Glinda The Good Witch is known for her iconic crown and wand.


There is nothing that I could find out there to purchase that would even come close to completing my vision for her character so I had to DIY them.


Crown:

As the base of my creation I purchased a really cheap  "Good Fairy Costume Crown" for $12. To save the time of drawing a stencil and using the clear plastic cutting mat's I've seen in other DYI's.

When It arrived it had frosted fabric with silver stars glued inside which I had to remove along with the faux-pearl bursts, trim and pink plastic stones. They all peeled off easily.

I lined the crown with the same pale pink organza we used in the sleeves of the gown. I traced the outline, cut it out and used it to create the frosted effect without the stars. I did leave the star fabric at the top sections of the crown.

I added my own silver star bursts I cut off of a balloon weight from the dollar tree to mimic Glinda's

I chose a brooch I had on hand for the focal point of the hat, painted the metal a lighter, brighter silver and used glitter glue and loose glitter for the lines on the front as well as the trim.



I built the iridescent stones around the brooch in the front. Because my base crown didn't have the rectangle piece in the front that rests on her forehead I had to use the plastic from the box the stones came in to hot glue under the brooch and then I covered it in jewels.

Before I list the costume for sale I am going to add faux pearls to the front as well.

 Because it was a holiday shoot I designed Christmas Trees on both dies of the crown and used an iridescent glitter over the glue.

The trim around the bottom of the crown was a rhinestone band that I added with hot glue. 




Wand: 

The wand has a really incredible story. First test wands were created for Glinda for screen tests.
It just sold at auction at Bonham's December 10, 2019 for $400, 075.
Gilbert Adrian-designed wand of clear rhinestones was created but ultimately appeared bland on film. It was replaced with a wand which contained scattered colorful stones which sparkled on screen and was more in keeping with the vibrant Land of Oz (at least two of these wands were known to exist).
The two known colorful screen-used wands were sold at the famous 1970 MGM auction and transported to a museum called "The Land of Oz" in North Carolina, where both wands were destroyed in a 1970's fire, making this silver version the only known wand in existence.

I recreated the technicolor wand used in the film using a long wooden dowel that I painted silver, Silver glitter foam as a bade for the star, hot glued together and hand covered with stones.














No comments:

Post a Comment