Saturday, June 16, 2018
It's Not Easy Being Green
Sustainable editor at large for VOGUE Australia and ethical fashion activist.
It's not easy being green was a phrase I first heard in relation to Kermit the Frog, but it also applies to myself and countless others who are putting forth effort for a sustainable lifestyle. My focus on fashion is 2 fold.
1) I am passionate about fashion and personal style as a form of expression, language and art form.
2) The fashion industry is the second most polluting industry in the world, behind fossil fuels. FACT!
In our fast paced, disposable culture I don't know how much the average person stops to think about their environmental impact as they get dressed in the morning and/or shop for clothes.
Think about the message above today and every day!
This is not about complete anti-consumption but looking at what you have, re-style what you own, be mindful of what you consume and who you consume it from. Look at a supply chain and see if your ethics are in line with how the garments are produced. Also consider the environmental impact of your fashion choices knowing that the fashion industry is the SECOND most polluting industry in the world, behind fossil fuels who is the obvious first.
How can you make a change?
1) Shop and Wear Vintage
2) Shop Contemporary Second Hand (Thrift)
3) Re-Style what you have in your closet (get things tailored, remove sleeves, etc.) and make them "new" to you. Wear what is hanging in your closet with tags still on it.
4) Shop from ethical brands who are environmentally friendly (using sustainable materials) and who have ethical production (fair wages, good working conditions, don't use child labor, etc).
This is a great start to Sustainable Style and moving away from a throw away culture mindset.