Friday, December 27, 2019
The beloved character of the Tin Man was perfect for my husband. He is always such a great sport and gives his all to each character I dream up for him every year.
The costume was lined with foam to create the circular shape of the Tin Man's body. The costume label is "Fun Costumes" That I added updates to.
* Out of sheet metal I made a bow tie
* I cut Shoulder pads from duct work pipes
* I used actual pipes for elbows
* I used silver metal thumb tacks, snipped off the point and used them for a "grommet" look down the front of the costume, the wrists and on the headpiece.
I used a steel funnel for the hat and attached a piece of sponge that I painted silver (the tight funnel hut my husbands head to wear). I had no alternative but to add a strap - garment elastic that I also painted silver and covered with the same fabric that the costume was constructed from - I cut excess fabric off of the pant hem to use, and covered it with the metal "grommets" aka thumb tacks.
I added the Tin Man Heart Clock, similar to the one in the film. The manufacturer information was printed on the exterior of the heart so I covered that with the metal thumb tacks as well.
I opted out of using a prosthetic for his nose/chin and did my best with simple makeup. I used Full coverage, liquid silver makeup, Black lips, nose tip, and brows done with a black pencil.
Did you know? MGM tested several types of costumes and makeup to make the Tin Man appear silvery. They tried covering Ebsen with tin, silvery paper, and silver cloth-covered cardboard. Finally, they decided to go with white face paint coated with aluminum dust. Nine days into filming, Ebsen started to experience shortness of breath and cramping that sent him to the hospital. At one point his lungs failed. He remained hospitalized for two weeks during which the film's producer hired actor Jake Haley to replace him.
Haley's makeup was reformulated into a paste that was painted on. Haley missed four days of filming when the makeup caused an eye infection, but he did not suffer any permanent damage, nor did he lose his job.
Thursday, December 19, 2019
Dorothy Gale is the most recognizable and iconic of all of the Oz characters. For her look I wanted to stay as true to the 1939 version as possible.
I acquired a cotton theatre costume constructed back in he 90's. My costume partner, Kate Hepworth made the alterations to the original costume to make it more authentic to Dorothy. She angled the straps, fixed the waist, changed the buttons and made other changes that brought the iconic gingham cotton romper back to life.
Out biggest challenge was finding the trim for the neck and sleeves. In the original film Dorothy had a small trim that appears to be some kind of rick rack in a triangle shape. The color of blue was the challenge to match.
We tried felt, paper and ribbon. Not until we found the perfect shade of blue ribbon, that I can describe as periwinkle were we satisfied. It wasn't the exact shape but the color was perfect. I attached it to the neckline and sleeves with fabric glue as the shoot day was quickly approaching.
The original ruby slippers were covered in sequins and the bows embellished with rhinestone trim with larger stones on the interior.
In L. Frank Baum's original 1900 novel, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, on which the film is based, Dorothy wears Silver Shoes. However, the color of the shoes was changed to red to take advantage of the new Technicolor film process used in big-budget Hollywood films of the era. Film screenwriter Noel Langley is credited with the idea. (Source)
I acquired a cheap replica that is available at every costume retailer and chose to embellish them further.
The heel was exposed with satin and were not completely covered in sequins on the sides. I covered the heels and the rest of the shoe by hand with sequins of the same color. In the image the shoe on the R is how they arrived and the left is after being hand embellished.
The basket was loaned to me by Kate for the shoot.
The iconic poppy's had to play a role in my set and prop's for Dorothy. I swiftly realized that artificial Poppy's are hard to find and when you fins them they are expensive. The usual dollar store flowers were not an option.
I got one bouquet of great quality poppies for the shoot.
I incorporated it into my set too by purchasing an artists work in the form of wrapping paper I laid on the floor beside my "Yellow Brick Road".
Dorothy's makeup was simple. A neutral eye shadow - MAC Dazzlelight , and a neutral tan shade from a Disney pallet called "Villainous", false lashes and a neutral colored lipstick called Pasion - Frida Kahlo Collection
Hair was done with a simple roll and ponytail topped off with a baby blue satin bow.