Friday, December 27, 2019

OZ: Tin Man


The beloved character of the Tin Man was perfect for my husband. He is always such a great sport and gives his all to each character I dream up for him every year.

The costume was lined with foam to create the circular shape of the Tin Man's body. The costume label is "Fun Costumes" That I added updates to.


 * Out of sheet metal I made a bow tie
 * I cut Shoulder pads from duct work pipes
 * I used actual pipes for elbows
 * I used silver metal thumb tacks, snipped off the point and used them for a "grommet" look down the front of the costume, the wrists and on the headpiece. 




I used a steel funnel for the hat and attached a piece of sponge that I painted silver (the tight funnel hut my husbands head to wear). I had no alternative but to add a strap - garment elastic that I also painted silver and covered with the same fabric that the costume was constructed from - I cut excess fabric off of the pant hem to use, and covered it with the metal "grommets" aka thumb tacks.


I added the Tin Man Heart Clock, similar to the one in the film. The manufacturer information was printed on the exterior of the heart so I covered that with the metal thumb tacks as well.





Makeup:


I opted out of using a prosthetic for his nose/chin and did my best with simple makeup. I used Full coverage, liquid silver makeup, Black lips, nose tip, and brows done with a black pencil.





Did you know? MGM tested several types of costumes and makeup to make the Tin Man appear silvery. They tried covering Ebsen with tin, silvery paper, and silver cloth-covered cardboard. Finally, they decided to go with white face paint coated with aluminum dust. Nine days into filming, Ebsen started to experience shortness of breath and cramping that sent him to the hospital. At one point his lungs failed. He remained hospitalized for two weeks during which the film's producer hired actor Jake Haley to replace him.


Haley's makeup was reformulated into a paste that was painted on. Haley missed four days of filming when the makeup caused an eye infection, but he did not suffer any permanent damage, nor did he lose his job.








No comments:

Post a Comment