Thursday, December 19, 2019

Oz: Dorothy Gale



Dorothy Gale is the most recognizable and iconic of all of the Oz characters. For her look I wanted to stay as true to the 1939 version as possible. 


I acquired a cotton theatre costume constructed back in he 90's. My costume partner, Kate Hepworth made the alterations to the original costume to make it more authentic to Dorothy. She angled the straps, fixed the waist, changed the buttons and made other changes that brought the iconic gingham cotton romper back to life. 



Out biggest challenge was finding the trim for the neck and sleeves. In the original film Dorothy had a small trim that appears to be some kind of rick rack in a triangle shape. The color of blue was the challenge to match.
We tried felt, paper and ribbon. Not until we found the perfect shade of blue ribbon, that I can describe as periwinkle were we satisfied. It wasn't the exact shape but the color was perfect. I attached it to the neckline and sleeves with fabric glue as the shoot day was quickly approaching.






The Shoes: 


The original ruby slippers were covered in sequins and the bows embellished with rhinestone trim with larger stones on the interior. 

In L. Frank Baum's original 1900 novel, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, on which the film is based, Dorothy wears Silver Shoes. However, the color of the shoes was changed to red to take advantage of the new Technicolor film process used in big-budget Hollywood films of the era. Film screenwriter Noel Langley is credited with the idea. (Source)


The heel was exposed with satin and were not completely covered in sequins on the sides. I covered the heels and the rest of the shoe by hand with sequins of the same color. In the image the shoe on the R is how they arrived and the left is after being hand embellished.

The bows were plain sequins and I embellished them with red rhinestones and a little E6000.



 The basket was loaned to me by Kate for the shoot.



Poppy Prop's:


The iconic poppy's had to play a role in my set and prop's for Dorothy. I swiftly realized that artificial Poppy's are hard to find and when you fins them they are expensive. The usual dollar store flowers were not an option.


I incorporated it into my set too by purchasing an artists work in the form of wrapping paper I laid on the floor beside my "Yellow Brick Road". 




Makeup:

Dorothy's makeup was simple. A neutral eye shadow - MAC Dazzlelight , and a neutral tan shade from a Disney pallet called "Villainous",  false lashes and a neutral colored lipstick called Pasion - Frida Kahlo Collection

Hair was done with a simple roll and ponytail topped off with a baby blue satin bow.










Dorothy and her perfect Toto, our pooch Leo.


No comments:

Post a Comment