Saturday, April 28, 2018

Reference This: 1968 x 2018


On a daily basis I am commenting, educating and sharing the merits and benefits of shopping from fashions past and re-styling it in a new and contemporary way. You wouldn't believe how many fashionable women will turn their nose up at a Vintage dress, passing it over for something high end or fast fashion because it is "new" yet it distinctly resembles a piece from the past. When this happens I love to pull from my fashion reference library to illustrate my point. Nothing is ever "identical" but it is certainly referenced time and time again in fashion.

I do not advocate completely against consumption of what is new but I do strongly advocate and promote using the creative re-styling of items that have had a previous life because it is a sustainable alternative to our fast fashion, throw away culture.

Part of what I do is constantly study fashion history, the history of costume of film and theatre and textiles.

I enjoy referencing fashions past as seen in our fashion present. The most current reference comes from across the pond. The gorgeous Dutchess of Cambridge welcomed her son this week and presented him to the world in the Royal tradition wearing a red dress with a white lace peter pan collar from designer Jenny Packham.




I can't help but think of the 1968 film, Rosemary's Baby with Mia Farrow in a similar look of a red dress and lace peter pan collar. 




Never forget, fashions past is ALWAYS present!

No comments:

Post a Comment