Saturday, January 8, 2011

Style Maven Series: IMAN


IMAN has been on the fashion scene since her arrival from Somalia in 1975. Her first modeling gig was for VOGUE in 1976. It did not take long for the fashion world to take notice of this exotically beautiful woman. She spent 14 years at the top of the business adored by many of the world's most amazing designers from Gianni Versace, Yves Saint Laurent, Halston, Calvin Klein, Donna Karen, and Thierry Mugler (just to name a few). My personal Favorite was her Thierry Mugler shows of the early 1990's.





She continues to Model but she is MUCH more than an exotic beauty. She's a Mother, Wife (of musician David Bowie), Designer, Entrepreneur, TV Show host, Author ("I am IMAN" and "The Beauty of Color"), Humanitarian and FASHION ICON! (confirmed once again when she WON the 2010 CFDA - Council of Fashion Designers of America 'Fashion Icon' AWARD)


Iman was approached by HSN execs in 2007 to start a fashion line based on her style, marketability and high profile. Iman started her GLOBAL CHIC COLLECTION with a collection of caftans (which she collects and LOVES). Iman's Global Chic collection has evolved into one of four best-selling items among more than 200 fashion and jewelry brands on HSN. Her line includes clothing, shoes, jewelry and accessories. I appreciate that IMAN designs the things she loves and uses. She actually wears and uses items from her collection and you can too. SHOP HER COLLECTION

In 1994 she started a line of Cosmetics with a focus on the needs of ethnic women and being able to provide them with the various shades that were missing from the market. As of 2010 Iman Cosmetics has reached the $25 million dollar a year mark, based around reasonably priced items for sale at large retailers (WalgreensTarget / DrugStore.com). Her vision started when she began modelling in the late 1970's and there was no foundation to match her skin tone. Her products run from $7.99-$14.99


What is unique about her website is that you can "Meet your Match". You compare the current foundation shade you are using from top brands (M.A.C., L'Oreal, Revlon, ect) and match it to the equivalent shade via Iman Cosmetics. Give it a try HERE



In addition to running a global beauty brand and creating a fashion/accessory line she is now also host of the BRAVO TV show: "The Fashion Show: Ultimate Collection", season two with fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi.

I love her no non-sense approach with her critiques to the designers. She illustrated her eclectic style sensibilities wit her wardrobe for the show. I was so impressed to see her wear a 1990's era Azzedine Alaia leopard print dress in one of the episodes. A nod to fashions rich history.

She is a busy lady with a BIG heart! She represents and works for several causes, including: Keep a Child Alive, Children's Defense Fund, Stand for Children, For All Kids, Action Against Hunger, and SEVERAL Others. She represents not just by writing a cheque but by investing her time, contacts and resources to making a difference in the lives of others.


I had a chance to ask IMAN a few Style Maven Questions;

LISA: Can you describe your personal Style aesthetic AND attitude about fashion?

IMAN: I love fashion but I don't like to be trendy. My personal style is classic and timeless just like a great black cashmere sweater or hermes birkin bag.

LISA: What are the key components / pieces in your closet?

IMAN: I love pants so they are a staple in my closet from skinny to wide legged ones low to high waisted. I love the mix of the high and low as I constantly pair my Chanel, YSL and Alaia's with my IMAN Global Chic from hsn.


LISA: How do you feel about Vintage Clothing and Accessories?

IMAN: I live for vintage! first because it flatters my figure and secondly it is unique and you will not see it coming and going. One of the first things I do every morning is go on 1stdibs to scour the vintage clothes and accessories.

LISA: What are your favorite Vintage pieces (Clothing and/or Accessories)? Do you only wear designer vintage?

IMAN: I don't wear only designer vintage but I do have some like Ossie Clark/Galanos/Balenciaga but unknowns as well if it looks good on me I am getting it.

LISA: What are you wearing this WINTER? Tell our readers the key elements for your Winter 2011 wardrobe.

IMAN: Lady luxe is what I am craving this winter and kitten heels. Nude coloring still my fave. I am also feeling fur as I think it is the new knitwear. Structured and modern... fresh but pulled together.

IMAN Style Sample (Click on images to ENLARGE):



It's my hope IMAN puts Evolution Vintage on her list of Vintage eBoutiques to scour for her next fashion treasures.

My Vintage Style pick for IMAN.








5 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful tribute to my favorite model. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment and taking the time to read the feature. IMAN is a true fashion ICON & beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love, Love, Love it.....great read!!
    Looking forward to the many more to be featured!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for providing such a valuable information and thanks for sharing this matter.

    ReplyDelete