Saturday, November 26, 2011

Behind The Lens: Hayley Marie Photography

Hayley ~ Self Portrait (wearing Evolution Vintage t-shirt)

I love beautiful images of all kinds; editorial fashion, landscape, interesting people or just random or ordinary things in life we take for granted. But when a photographer captures it in that moment it becomes amazing again; like a tree with changing leaves. In my "Behind The Lens" series I want to highlight some photographers who are visionaries and who are creating beautiful images from the world that surrounds them.

My first feature is Hayley Blackburn of Hayley Marie Photography. She is a local photographer here on the Central Coast of California but hails from the Gold Coast of Australia. She specializes in the use of nature and natural lighting to create her beautiful images. She loves fashion, nature and personal portraits.

I had the pleasure of working with her on a few jobs/shoots from a styling perspective as well as having her shoot my family and images with my new son Blake.
I had a chance to chat with Hayley about her business and passion;

LISA: Where did your love for photography come from?

HAYLEY: Ever since I can remember I have loved taking photographs of everything and anything. As a little girl growing up I loved to spend my pocket money on those little disposable cameras and snap away.I have aways loved Art....I love colors, shapes, textures but mostly I love to see the way the sun radiates and lights up objects and people so individually beautiful. But I have never been able to illustrate my art very well on paper or canvas. Photography gives me that avenue where i can express the beauty in life that I see.

LISA: What/Who inspires you?

HAYLEY: I am fortunate enough to live in a beautiful part of the world here on the Central Coast of California. I am definitely inspired every day I step out my front door and see the sparkling blue Pacific to the west and the rolling green hills to the East. There are a lot of people and amazing photographers who inspire me.The late Herb Ritts would have to be my all time favourite photographer. I am in awe each and every time I come across a shot of his. My 3 year old daughter is also a big inspiration to me. I love trying to capture her fun, carefree and innocent nature.
LISA: What is your favourite subject matter to shoot? and why?

HAYLEY: At the moment I am dabbling a little bit in everything. From model portfolios to fashion catalogues, family portraits to landscapes. But I must say my favourite type of shoot would have to be a fashion shoot. I love the freedom of imagination that can be expressed when concocting up the theme that best showcases the style of fashions to be photographed. I like to get a bit adventurous, and the models I have been working with lately are always up for the challenge....and that is FUN!!

LISA: What's next for Hayley Marie Photography (H.M.P)?

HAYLEY: Well being a relatively new kid on the photography block, I am looking forward to what the future holds for me and excited to find out which way the tides will take me. I have just brought out my debut calendar, "Seascapes of the Central Coast", it is a 12 month collection of my favourite Seascapes near my home. Proceeds from the sale of my calendar will be donated to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. I am also heading back to my beautiful homeland of Australia for a couple of months in the New Year....where I plan to expand my portfolio.
But all in all, I am hopeful that 2012 will be a year full of exciting new beginnings, opportunities and advancements for H.M.P.

LISA: What piece of advice would you give any creative entrepreneurs?

HAYLEY: My advice for any creative entrepreneur is (and funny that you ask me this) but the other day when it all just seemed too overwhelming with all the demands that creating a new business involves......a fabulous wise woman said to me....."It sucks when you work so hard and it feels like it's all for nothing; but remember it's the price of doing business and building your business. If it was easy everyone would do it. Hang in there and keep on moving."(Lisa G, Evolution-Vintage)

LISA: How can my readers reach out to you to book your services?

HAYLEY: You can find me ON-LINE




LISA: One DIY tip for all the aspiring photographers out there - can you tell us something about getting a perfect photo? OR any other tips for the lay person who takes lots of personal photos?

HAYLEY: LIGHT is EVERYTHING!! I find that I get my best shots about 20min before sunset. This beautiful golden light is very complimentary for everyone! Shooting at midday in broad daylight is a No No unless you are going for the squinty, shadowy eyelook thing.
I always try to look for that unique shot that no one else has taken. Yes it may be a beautiful sunset right in front of you, but try and make it a little different to the average sunset shot by trying different angles and compositions. Sometimes by adding an unexpected object in the frame can make it all that much more exciting. Just don't be shy....SNAP SNAP SNAP away!! Sometimes the best shots are the least expected ones!





GREAT GIFT IDEA: Her latest project is a beautiful calendar featuring 12 stunning images from the Central Coast of California. 10% of the proceeds from each calendar is going to the ‘National Breast Cancer Foundation’. EXCLUSIVE to Evolution Revolution readers enjoy FREE SHIPPING! just mention Evolution Revolution in your e-mail to Hayley!


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos! And the little boy is the most adorable with those brown eyes, charming.

    ReplyDelete