Thursday, August 25, 2016

Let There Be Light

Evolution Vintage High Waist Skirt and Shoes

 Let there be light indeed. My blogspot has experienced a black out of sorts, off and on over the last year or more. We have been in darkness more than we have been illuminated in this digital space which sadly is a combination of my poor time management skills and prioritization. It certainly wasn't due to a lack of content, ideas or inspiration so buckle up, I'm back.

The concept of light and dark has also been a theme in my life lately as I have been crawling my way out of the darkness and back towards the glow from a series of superficial relationships in disguise, a social justice fight for my son and engagement with many other energy and time thieves. It is so cliche but so true that everything comes to light eventually; true characters, true colors and truth in general.

Seeing a light at the end of the tunnel is something specific to my day today as I prepare my son for his first day of his academic life in a general ed setting after a long summer of negotiations (for those of you know don't know my son has Down Syndrome). I am back to creating again at the keyboard and easel.

This quotation resonated with me when exploring the concept of light and illumination that IS a person and that surrounds a person.


"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light" - Plato

It really made me contemplate how we as adults drift away form our authenticity; in both desire and deed. How we let societal pressure and darkness dull and shroud our natural luminescence . Can we then step out into the world and let our inner lights shine, bask in, be unapologetic about it and really enjoy it? You may have to pass out sunglasses because the reflection may be off putting and too much for some to handle but the right people will let that light help illuminate their path and help you celebrate your personal shine. Remaining in denial of your own light you may miss opportunities to help another light up their path.


The images shared in this piece are from a photo shoot I styled at the Greystone Manor in Cambria, CA in the late spring and they just scream LIGHT to me. The model Lakin is wearing Evolution Vintage Skirt and Shoes, House of Kat Swank Capelet, Makeup by Hanna Fisher, Hair Valerie Myers and images by Thomas Fowler.







1 comment:

  1. "Can we then step out into the world and let our inner lights shine, bask in, be unapologetic about it and really enjoy it?"

    Love this. Something to contemplate for sure - never underestimate the positive effect that your own light can have on the lives of others.

    You're back! I'm so glad. I look forward to joining you again in this digital forum. To the next chapter... xo

    ReplyDelete