Friday, November 22, 2013

Fashions Past is Present

Chanel F/W 1991. Model Kristen Mcmenamy

I cannot stress enough the obvious cyclical nature of the fashion industry. I could use thousands of examples of how fashions past influences fashions future. People who claim they are "not into Vintage" make me laugh as their current wardrobe pieces simply looks like a new spin on an old classic! 

The resemblances are not always LITERAL or COPIES but the essence of past collections are always present, for me anyway. My latest observation was the Balmain Spring/Summer 2014. It just reminded me of the CHANEL Fall 1991 Collection with the mix of denim, gold hardware accessories and black moto style pieces.

Quick Fashion History Lesson --> Fashion Designer Pierre Balmain (pictured below in 1952 in Paris) was an architect turned fashion designer in 1934. He one said, "dressmaking is the architecutre of movement". He worked for another designer until he opened the House of Balmain in 1945 and in the post WWII era was dubbed "the king of fashion" in France. He was born in 1914 and passed away in 1982. The house of Balmain has changed designers several times since his passing (including major designers like Oscar de la Renta) and the current designer is Olivier Rousteing.

Balmain S/S 2014




This new Balmain collection reminded me of F/W 1991 CHANEL.  Let me be clear that it is not identical, nor do I see "copies". The connection is in the the denim, moto inspiration, quilting, gold hardware/accessories and sheer elements. My overall point is that the essence of fashion's past always lives in fashion's present and future. 
 Thus, Vintage pieces are ALWAYS CHIC and TIMELESS. 
Styling is the key element to modernization of pieces from the past.







What are your thoughts on Fashion's Past?

 Do you see the connection?

No comments:

Post a Comment