Monday, September 26, 2016

TINOGONA: Dr. Tererai Trent


Making a commitment to myself and deciding to push through personal boundaries can yield the most profound and unexpected gifts. This weekend I spent in Ojai, California at The Empowered Authors Academy hosted by the dynamic, authentic, publishing powerhouse of Enliven Books Zhena Muzyka. I will chronicle my thoughts and feelings about this weekend in an upcoming post.


I wanted to share one of the MANY amazing humans I had the pleasure of sharing a room with over the last 2 days, the beautiful Dr. Tererai Trent.


Dr. Trent's story is nothing short of incredible! She evolved from living as an abused child bride (age 11)  in a small village in Zimbabwe, under poverty conditions that we spoiled westerners could not even fathom, to dreaming what seemed to everyone else an impossible dream of hope and education. She wanted a life with access to education, plenty to eat and peace. Her mother and grandmother supported the belief that she held the power to change her life and realize all of her dreams.


She wrote a brilliantly illustrated children's book called "The Girl Who buried her dreams in a can" that tells her story to the girls she is now empowered to uplift. I acquired the book yesterday for my 8 year old daughter and I am so excited to be able to share it with her.

Not only did Dr. Trent realize her dream of acquiring an education (a bachelors degree, two master's degrees, a PhD and 4 honorary degrees) she has inspired thousands of women and girls to reach for their dreams, never letting the bleakest of situation, towering odds or geographical restrtictions stop them from dreaming and living the lives they want.

Dr. Trent is Oprah's ALL TIME favorite guest and received a gratitude gift from lady O herself to the tune of 1.5 million dollars to build schools in Zimbabwe, thousands are now being given access to education because of Dr. Trent's sacrifices, vision, dedication and hard work!






She is currently writing her memoir soon to be published by Enliven Books! I cannot WAIT to get my hands on what I know will be a national and global BEST SELLER.


WITH SINCERE GRATITUDE to you Dr. Trent for inspiring me to not only make all the dreams I have held silent into a reality by sharing my unique voice but showing me through both your word and deed TINOGONA - It is achievable! When we unite our voices as women, empower and inspire one another there is truly nothing that we cannot accomplish.


Make a donation to Dr. Trent's Foundation





No comments:

Post a Comment