Tuesday, January 28, 2014

TV Time: North & South

I love that Blog's provide random people with a digital forum. My intent is to share what I love and what I do here. I feature celebrities that I adore, interesting products and experiences. My hope is to inspire and empower my reader in some way. It is also a forum for me to be self indulgent and highlight the things I enjoy and support. Since I was a little girl I have loved the mini-series North and South.  Some of my fondest memories with my mother and dearly departed grandmother was being able to stay up "late" on Sunday nights when it originally aired in my tiny little town in Ontario, Canada.
Elizabeth Taylor as Madame Conti and Philip Casnoff as Elkanah Bent.

I immediately fell in LOVE with the costumes and characters. Over the coming weeks I will explore the series, the costumes and cast of this epic series. I applaud it's historical accurateness and hope to share new insight into the series that I have adored for so many years. I have had the great pleasure of interviewing a few cast members and I am also on the hunt for the original costume pieces for future blog's in this feature series.

Did you know? Lionsgate Entertainment is partnered with Discovery Channel and is producing a re-make of this epic series. I'm hoping to obtain current details on the project.



The series is based on the 1980s trilogy of novels North and South by John Jakes.
 The series aired book 1 (leading up to the civil war) in 1985 and it remains the 7th highest rated miniseries of all time. Book II which covers the civil war aired in 1986 receiving critical acclaim with amazing performances by it's all star cast. The final installment, Book III - Heaven and Hell aired in 1994 to poor reviews. It covered the post civil war era.
If you have not seen it here is a synopsis of the show: "The saga tells the story of the enduring friendship between Orry Main of South Carolina (Patrick Swayze) and George Hazard of Pennsylvania (James Read), who become best friends while attending the United States Military Academy at West Point but later find themselves and their families on opposite sides of the war. The slave-owning Mains are rural planters, while the Hazards, who resided in a small Northern mill town, live by manufacturing and industry, their differences reflecting the divisions between North and South that eventually led to the Civil War.Source



Did you watch the series? or Read the books?


No comments:

Post a Comment